Thursday, November 1, 2007

Joe Torre Signs with Dodgers

I was running on the treadmill at my schools athletic center harmlessly watching ESPN, when they broke the news that Joe Torre has signed on to be manager of the LA Dodgers. The deal is for 3 years and $13 million. I've been preparing for the news to come, and I am very excited to see what Girardi has to offer, but seeing Torre in a different uniform was a hard thing. Torre is the only manager I've known, taking over soon after my 8th birthday. I feel the same way I would with a high school relationship: I just didn't think he'd move on so soon!

No matter how I feel, Torre will be managing Jeff Kent, James Loney, Rafael Furcal, Russell Martin, and possibly Arod in 2008. Poor Scott Proctor. He finally got away from Torre's bullpen mis-managements, and now Joe follows him to California. The fate of his right arm has never looked worse.

The Dodgers should be a very good team. Andy Laroche will most likely get a full season at 3B, Loney a full season at first, and Andrew Ethier and Matt Kemp will be on either side of speedy Juan Pierre in the OF. With a lot of youngsters, the Dodgers are no guarentee to finish above .500 next year, but with Torre running the ship and a butt load of potential, look for LA to be a contender in 08.

*If Arod signs, contender is far from the right word.
*If Arod signs, the Dodgers will be forced to trade rookie Laroche, and look for the Yanks to be players.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.